As a young carer or a young adult carer you have a right to be supported and to get the help you need.

You have these rights whether you look after someone every day or from time to time, or if you do a lot of or a little caring.

You shouldn’t be doing a caring role that:

  • Makes you feel worried, sad or lonely.
  • Makes your health worse.
  • Means that you miss out on time with friends.
  • Means you do worse at school, college or university.
  • Stops you getting a job or keeping a job.
  • Stops you wanting to achieve your goals for the future.

The law says that the council must find out what support you need. They do this by carrying out an assessment. The type of assessment will depend on how old you are. If you’re under 18 you can receive a Young Carer’s Assessment. If you’re between 17-18 you can receive a Transition Assessment. If you’re over 18 you can have a Carer’s Assessment.

If there is more than one carer providing regular care in your household, you are both entitled to an assessment.

Click here for more information on Young Carer Assessments and Transition Assessments

Click to find out about Carer's Assessments for Adults

Your Right to Get Support for You and Your Family Together

A Young Carer Assessment can be done at the same time as an assessment of the needs of the person you care for. This is called a joint assessment. It should only happen if everyone is happy with it, including you. Even if you have a joint assessment you should still be able to talk separately from the other people who are involved so you can say things in private.